Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center
Current Operating Status
As of Tuesday, November 29, 2022 9:44 AM CST
Visitors: We have moved into the High Health Protection Level. Therefore, visitors are not allowed on inpatient units, except when deemed necessary by the patient's clinical care team. Visits to the Community Living Center (including the Green House homes) should be arranged with the nurse manager and/or social worker for the unit.For more details, go to: Visitor Information.
Everyone entering Lovell FHCC is required to wear facility provided, medical-grade surgical masks in all of our facilities. These masks are shown to offer more protection than cloth masks. Please pick up one when you enter our facilities.
COVID-19 Vaccine & Testing
We continue to vaccinate (1st, 2nd doses and the bivalent booster) enrolled veteran and Dept. of Defense/TRICARE patients, ages 12 and up, as well as unenrolled veterans, their spouses and caregivers. We also are vaccinating TRICARE patients, ages 6 months to 11.
NOTE: For information about the bivalent booster, please go to our COVID-19 vaccination page.
For unenrolled veterans, their spouses and caregivers, pre-registration will save time. For more information, including registration instructions, go to the Lovell FHCC COVID-19 vaccination page.
Weekday adult vaccinations take place at our main hospital in North Chicago. Park in the four-story garage, come in the Bldg. 133EF/Ambulatory Care Clinic entrance, where the screeners will give you directions. Then follow the signs to the Immunizations Clinic.
To help us adhere to pandemic protocols, appointments are strongly encouraged. For appointments for TRICARE beneficiaries ages 6 months to 11, only, call 800-941-4501. All others, call 224-610-3899 to schedule an appointment.
Veterans who received their first COVID-19 vaccinations elsewhere may get the bivalent booster at Lovell FHCC, after registering if they are not already patients. Unenrolled veterans' spouses and caregivers may get the booster shot as well. Please provide your CDC COVID-19 vaccination card!
Testing: We are offering limited COVID-19 testing for symptomatic patients at our main hospital; however, we recommend patients get tested in the community or use at-home tests. (Please report the results of outside COVID-19 testing to your primary care provider so your patient record can be updated.)
For the latest information, we invite you to follow Lovell FHCC social media pages - https://www.facebook.com/lovellfhcc, https://twitter.com/lovellfhcc - and our COVID-19 vaccination page on this website COVID-19 vaccination page. Scroll down to see information specific to Lovell FHCC.
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
If you are coming to our main campus in North Chicago, take note of these safeguards:
- Please park in the four-story garage and come in the main entrance to Building 133EF/Ambulatory Care Clinic (valet parking entrance).
- Face coverings remain mandatory. We require everyone entering our facilities to wear medical-grade surgical masks that we provide at the screening tables.
- Please wear facility provided, medical-grade masks over the nose and mouth.
- Appointments are strongly recommended.
- After hours, if you have symptoms or just have questions, veteran patients may call the Nurse Advice Line at 224-610-2920. Dept. of Defense patients may call 800-874-2273.The VA COVID-19 website is a good reference for answers to many questions: https://www.va.gov/coronavirus.
- COVID-19 information for Dept. of Defense beneficiaries is at www.TRICARE.mil/coronavirus.
- Staff members who are COVID-19 positive and/or have symptoms, should contact Employee Occupational Health at 224-610-4215, prior to returning to work (and also contact your supervisor).
General Pharmacy Questions: Please call 224-610-7600.
Influenza vaccineLovell FHCC is offering flu shots by appointment. For the latest information, please go to our Influenza Season page: https://www.lovell.fhcc.va.gov/influenza_season.asp. Veterans and military patients also may choose to get their flu shots in the community. More detailed information and links are available on our Influenza Season page to help patients find participating pharmacies in the VA or TRICARE networks.
Federal Holiday ClosuresUnless otherwise indicated, Lovell FHCC ambulatory clinics, surgery, administration and community-based outpatient clinics are closed on federal holidays. The Lovell FHCC emergency department, acute medicine, acute psychiatry and critical care unit remain available 24/7. The surgery department also is closed on federal holidays but is available for emergencies. For questions during normal business hours, please call 847-688-1900 or a specific Lovell FHCC clinic.
For a list of future federal holidays, go to:
Inclement weather information:
Patients, if you are running late because of the weather, or need to reschedule, please call Central Scheduling at 1-800-393-0865 (veterans), or call 1-800-941-4501 (TRICARE beneficiaries).If the weather impacts the status of FHCC operations at any time, the information will be posted at:https://www.lovell.fhcc.va.gov/emergency/index.asp(this page) and athttps://www.facebook.com/lovellfhcc/.
We urge all who must travel during hazardous weather to take appropriate precautions when driving on area roads, and to allow plenty of extra time for commutes. For up-to-date information on road conditions in Lake County, Ill., go to:https://www.lakecountypassage.com/. For up-to-date information on road conditions in the Kenosha area, go to:https://511wi.gov/.
For Illinois road conditions, go to the Illinois Department of Transportation's website:
|Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center||Normal Hours|
|Evanston VA Clinic||Normal Hours|
|Kenosha VA Clinic||Normal Hours|
|McHenry VA Clinic||Normal Hours|
|USS Osborne Dental Clinic||Normal Hours|
|USS Red Rover||Normal Hours|
|USS Tranquillity||Normal Hours|
|Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher Medical and Dental Clinic||Normal Hours|
- Emergency: 911
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)
- 24 Hour Nurse: 1-800-393-0865 x82920
- Change Your Appointment: 1-800-393-0865, press 5 for prescription and appointment information
- Media Inquiries: 1-224-610-3714 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Veterans Helpline: 1-800-507-4571
- Patient Locator: 847-688-1900, press 0 or 1-800-393-0865, press 0
- Pharmacy Refill: 1-800-393-0865, press 5 for prescription and appointment information
- Staff Locator: 847-688-1900, press 0 or
1-800-393-0865, press 0
- Telephone Care: 847-688-1900 or